Thursday, February 8, 2018

If a woman roars in the jungle does anyone hear
By Leslie B. Patient


Confession Time
#Me Too bewildered me
As it began to flood my Facebook Feed
Women who I knew to be strong and remarkable
Powerful and accomplished
Hashtagged stories of harassment
And I was bewildered
Because these were my contemporaries
My compatriots growing up with Gloria Steinem and ERA marches
Pre-empting Sesame Street
We were young girls who wore bell-bottomed jeans and hair short like Dorothy Hamill
Or long and stringy like Jaime Somers the kickass Bionic Woman


We knew we could be an astronaut, or doctor, or lawyer
And the Convent clad warrior nuns of our Catholic school only confirmed for us
that we had purpose and that purpose had nothing to do with pleasing a flesh and blood man.


So I could not figure out
Why my contemporaries had so many #me too stories
When I decidedly could not say
“me too”


Because when the large and in charge curly haired bully tried to touch my leg on the bus
I punched him in the face
And he learned to respect and fear the kindergarten girl at the Parry Road stop.
In my universe when Bobby B. said I had to play spin the bottle at his soccer party
Because I was a cheerleader
I told him he was full of shit and I walked home
But we still shot baskets at the park that weekend and he stopped asking me to do inane things
When creepy Mr. Stankiewicz tried to rub my shoulders the way he did so many other girls
in our Bio class,
I said in the loudest voice I could
“You had better stop touching me. Now!”
And the class grew deadly silent as he bolted out of the classroom,
but I wasn’t afraid because he knew I was right and he never touched me again
and I still got a legitimate A+
And then there was “Giles” the suave London rugby player my Junior Year Abroad who thought
all Americans girls put out on a first date.
Silly Giles.
Perhaps I shouldn’t have posted my “Ode To A Raging Asshole” on the dorm board
but I didn’t name names.


So why did my incubation in the American 70s teach me to be a lion and roar
while my peers and
later Facebook Friends found themselves in “deer in the headlights” situations?
This was my conundrum and then I realized


I was raised as my father’s son


Out on the diamond hitting fast balls
Side by side tightening lug nuts on the pool filter
Scraping grass muck off the mower’s spark plug
Chopping and hauling wood from the field across the street
Pushing the handtruck with cases of beer down the warehouse loading dock
I learned I was strong in mind and body.
I learned I should demand respect
But maybe that’s because I was raised as my father’s son
And not a dainty defenseless “deer in the headlights” daughter


I am not victim blaming. Please do not misconstrue
I am only trying to organize the discomfort I felt when #Me Too blew up my Facebook
I am lucky, I know that,
never having been trapped in a hotel room or a dark office with someone
who wielded a financial or career-potential power over me, someone for whom
a punch in the face or a scathing ode would do little to deter
The truth is I think there will always be those whose power corrupts
and makes them feel entitled to take whatever they want.
There will be men like this.
There will be women like this.


But a part of me just wanted to say
THIS IS NOT NEW
We have fought this fight
In 1848 when Elizabeth and Susan B., Lucretia, Sojourner said “It’s time!”
And it took another 72 years
In 1920 when Harry Burn’s mother said “Hurrah and Vote for Suffrage”
Though less than 20% of the candidates have ever been women
In 1923 when Alice said Equal Rights for All
But then it was almost 50 years later
In 1972 when Gloria railed with her tinted sunglasses and said Equal Right for All
Again. Still the amendment is not ratified
In 1991 when Anita stood up
But the accused got confirmed to the Supreme Court anyway


So this, I guess, is why my discomfort grew
It’s the bizarre non-linear movement of history that too easily falls into the proverbial
One step forward, Two steps back, fifty-two steps back


I guess it angered me that in 2018 we even have to have a #me too movement
My discomfort is really with my own naivete
Thinking that we already fought that fight
Remembering, we are always fighting that fight
Because it requires
Vigilance and perseverance and systemic and paradigm shifts
This Change moves at glacial speeds every hundred years or so


My Impatience and naivete made  #me too disconcerting
Because I thought we had already all learned to roar
But then I realized that I was only in a very small part of the jungle

No comments: